The Decatur Arts Alliance, in partnership with Fishbone Art and supported by the Decatur Tourism Bureau, is accepting design submissions for the “Secret Doors Decatur” project. Originally established in 2015, the miniature public art pieces were hidden in plain sight around Decatur. Residents and visitors were encouraged to follow clues and explore the city in search of fun and fanciful secret doorways. Artists are now invited to submit designs for a new round of Secret Doors.
Various outdoor sites around Decatur, as determined by the Decatur Arts Alliance and Fishbone Art. Doors should measure around 8 in. tall, 4 in. wide, and 1/2 in. deep. The back side of the art pieces should remain flat and obstruction-free to ensure secure installation.
- Designs must be original by the artist applicant.
- Designs must not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, business names, or images of drugs.
- If the design is to include text, it must be included in the design mock up.
- Artists may include their signature in the design.
- Artists will provide all materials to create the door.
- Doors must be sufficiently durable to withstand outdoor elements (including sun fading, rain, and wind) as well as public interaction.
- Doors must be monitored, maintained and repaired for a period of one year after completion. This includes keeping the door free from tags and vandalism.
The selected artists will receive a $150 stipend per door, which includes the cost of materials.
Issue Call: March 1, 2022
Submission Deadline: April 15, 2022
Artist Notification: May 1, 2022
Signed Disclaimer Due Date: May 15, 2022
Artwork Delivery Deadline: July 1, 2022
How to Apply
Artists may submit applications through the online application below. Applications must be completed in full, including a digital file of the proposed design as well as images of up to 3 art samples. The deadline for submission is 5 pm on April 15, 2022. A disclaimer form will be emailed upon final artist selection by May 1, 2022 and must be signed and resubmitted by May 15, 2022 or the Secret Door will be relinquished to the next selected artist. A $150 stipend will be issued via PayPal.