The Decatur Arts Alliance, in partnership with Fishbone Art and supported by the Decatur Tourism Bureau, is accepting design submissions for the “Secret Doors Decatur” project. Originally established in 2015, the miniature public art pieces were hidden in plain sight around Decatur. Residents and visitors were encouraged to follow clues and explore the city in search of fun and fanciful secret doorways. Artists are now invited to submit designs for a new round of Secret Doors.
Various outdoor sites around Decatur, as determined by the Decatur Arts Alliance and Fishbone Art. Doors should measure around 8 in. tall, 4 in. wide, and 1/2 in. deep. The back side of the art pieces should remain flat and obstruction-free to ensure secure installation.
- Designs must be original by the artist applicant.
- Designs must not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, business names, or images of drugs.
- If the design is to include text, it must be included in the design mock up.
- Artists may include their signature in the design.
- Artists will provide all materials to create the door.
- Doors must be sufficiently durable to withstand outdoor elements (including sun fading, rain, and wind) as well as public interaction.
- Doors must be monitored, maintained and repaired for a period of one year after completion. This includes keeping the door free from tags and vandalism.
The selected artists will receive a $150 stipend per door, which includes the cost of materials.
Issue Call: March 1, 2022
Submission Deadline: Ongoing
Artist Notification: Artists will be notified within two weeks of their submission date
Artwork Delivery Deadline: Completed work must be mailed to or dropped off at the DAA office within two months of acceptance date
How to Apply
Artists may submit applications through the online form on this page. Applications must be completed in full, including a digital file of the proposed design as well as images of up to three art samples.
Artists will be notified within two weeks of their submission date. Completed work must be mailed to or dropped off at the DAA office within two months of the acceptance notification. A $150 stipend will be issued via PayPal, half upon artist confirmation of acceptance and half upon receipt of work.
Applications for the Secret Doors are now closed.