The Decatur Arts Alliance, in partnership with Fishbone Art and supported by the Decatur Tourism Bureau, is accepting design submissions for the “Decatur Box Project.” In 2016, the Decatur Arts Alliance established the local public art project that transformed electrical boxes from their dull-gray corroded metal into colorful, whimsical works of art. The time has come to update these boxes for 2022! Artists are invited to submit their designs for selection as we update 24 electrical boxes around Decatur.
Traffic signal boxes at various intersections throughout downtown Decatur. Boxes measure approximately 4 ft. tall, 3 ft. wide, and 2 ft. deep.
- Artwork must be original by the artist applicant.
- Designs must not be offensive or contain any traffic lights, signs, or signals.
- Designs must not include any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, brands, business names or images of drugs.
- If the design is to include text, it must be included in the design mock up.
- Artist’s signature must be included in the design.
- All visible sides of the traffic signal control box must be included in the mock up.
- Nothing may be attached, fastened, or glued to the box.
- All functional elements of the box – key holes, handles, labels and hinges – must be masked and remain free of paint.
- Artists will supply all materials with the exception of priming paint.
- The boxes will be primed by the Decatur Arts Alliance/Fishbone Art prior to the artist beginning the installation.
- Once painting has begun, it should be completed within a one week period from start to finish.
- Artists will be asked to coordinate all installations with the Decatur Arts Alliance so they will have all the necessary permission letters and the box will be primed.
- Traffic boxes must be monitored, maintained, and repaired for a period of one year after completion. This includes keeping the box free from tags and vandalism.
The selected artists will receive a $500 stipend per box, which includes the cost of materials (except the base primer, which will be provided by the Decatur Arts Alliance).
Issue Call: March 1, 2022
Submission Deadline: April 15, 2022
Artist Notification: May 1, 2022
Signed Disclaimer Due Date: May 15, 2022
Artwork Installation Deadline: July 1, 2022
How to Apply
Artists may use this online form to apply. Applications must be completed in full, including a digital file of the proposed design as well as images of up to three art samples. The deadline for submission is 5 pm on April 15, 2022. A disclaimer form will be emailed upon final artist selection by May 1, 2022 and must be signed and resubmitted by May 15, 2022 or the box will be relinquished to the next selected artist. A $500 stipend will be issued via PayPal.
Applications for the Decatur Box Project are now closed.